In case you aren’t on Instagram and are thus living in the stone ages, actor Seth Rogan (known for playing stoner-friendly roles in many of his movies) and director/screenwriter and producer Evan Goldberg have teamed up to launch their own Canadian cannabis brand.
So what you may say, cannabis brands have been popping up like “weeds” in the last few years as marijuana legalization has spread across North America faster than chickenpox at a middle-school lock-in.
There are though a few things in particular that make Houseplant stand apart from other premium cannabis brands. Read our full overview of Houseplant here.
Before There Was Cannabis There Was Alcohol
Celebrities launching their own brands and product lines is not a new concept. From designer clothing collaborations to all-out launches, the celebrity-turned-titan of industry has only exploded in popularity with the importance and sheer scope allotted personalities today via platforms like Instagram.
One only has to look at the other legal recreational drug market to see where this trend is going. Yes, we’re talking alcohol. To name a few celebrity-endorsed, celebrity-paid, or celebrity owned companies:
- Matthew Mcconaughey’s Wild Turkey Long Branch whisky (serves as Creative Director)
- George Clooney’s Tequila Casamingos (co-owner/joint partnership)
- P Diddy’s Ciroc and DeLeon tequila (Marketer, Spokesperson, Co-owner of DeLeon)
- Dan Aykroyd’s Cyrstal Head vodka (co-owner)
- Dave Matthews Dreaming Tree wine (collaboration iwth Sonoma Country winemaker Sean McKenzie)
- David Beckham’s scotch whisky (Spokesperson)
- Justin Timberlake’s tequila (owner)
- Ryan Reynolds Aviation gin (purchased the Portland, OR based company)
It was these celebrity alcohol startups and exclusive partnerships that really fed the fuel to the boutique or “fammabranding” of cannabis once more states opened up their legislation to legalization.
Top 16 Rapper Owned Cannabis Brands
- Wiz Khalifa – RiverRock dispensary produced “Khalifa Kush” cannabis strain
- Snoop Dogg – Leafs by Snoop cannabis, including “Dogg OG” strain and an edible line, owner of merryjane.com
- Jay-Z – Monogram cannabis line in partnership with Calafornia located Caliva
- Curren$y – Andretti OG strain, Sneaker Politics and Reebok collaborator
- Method Man and Redman – partial owners and spokesmen for BlazeNow weed locator app company
- Xzibit – Napalm OG strain, Brass Knuckles vape partner, edible line owner
- Juicy J – Green Suicide strain
- Kurupt – Moonrock (Girl Scout Cookies strain dipped in hash oil, covered in kief)
- Waka Flocka – Flockaveli OG strain
- Soulja Boy – King Soulja and Marilyn Monroe OG strains
- Migos – Migo Gas strain
- Chief Keef – Cannabis shop owner, Chief Keef OG strain
- The Game – patner of The Reserve dispensary, owner of TreesbyGame products
- Riff Raff – Black Rose Collective strain “Jody Highroller”, Red Carpet Kush, and Lamborghini Leg Lock strains
- Nipsey Hussle – Marathon OG strain
- Ghostface Killah & Killah Priest – WuGoo hash oil and vape cartridges
- A$AP Rocky – owner Flacko Jodye vaporizers
You’ll notice a theme with the above business owners, that they are primarily hip-hop artists. This isn’t coincidence.
Cannabis has been a staple pillar of hip-hop culture since its inception and most rappers have been smoking on the good good years before it was available legally in dispensaries.
Celebrity strains are blowing up in popularity, similar to how celebrity endorsed alcohol brands blew up in the late 2000’s.
If you’ve been both a heavy drinker and a cannabis user in your life then its easy to see that cannabis is the future (chill, no hangovers, natural, the advantages over alcohol are endless) so it only makes sense that the industry will see a proliferation of celebrity deals, endorsements and new businesses.
Cannabis investing isn’t limited to rappers though. Below is a more eclectic list of famous people, from athletes to actors and everything in between, who have looked to cash in on the booming marijuana industry in one capacity or another.
Top 12 Celebrity Owned Cannabis Brands
- Mike Tyson – Owner of Tyson Holistic Holdings selling hemp-infused products, and owner of Tyson Ranch, a growing property, cannabis university, and resort.
- Joe Montana – Venture capital firm Liquid 2 Ventures, investor behind Herb.com media
- Cheech Marin & Tommy Chong – Owners of Cheech’s Private Stash brand, Chong’s Choice brand
- Justin Trudeau – Capitalized on pro-legalization sentiment in Canada to secure Prime Minister job
- Whoopi Goldberg – Female-focused products for menstrual relief, Whoopi & Maya Medical Cannabis brand
- Patrick Stewart – Partner at Oxford Cannabinoid Technologies, investor in research for pain and inflammation therapies
- Gwyneth Paltrow – Owner of Goop lifestyle brand, vape pen, CBD patch, bath bomb and herbal tea branded products via MedMen dispensary
- Seth Rogan – Houseplant cannabis brand, making an industry overrun with hip-hop references more “mom and pop” friendly
- Jimmy Buffet – Partner with Wrigley gum heir William Wrigley Jr. to form cannabis startup Coral Reefer
- Willie Nelson – Owner Willie’s Reserve cannabis products
- Damien Marley – Owner Ocean Grown Extracts
- Gene Simmons – Spokesperson for Invictus, a Canadian based cannabis firm
- Dan Bilzerian – Founder at Ignite International Brands cannabis investment firm